Thursday 26 November 2015

Fresh start .... Blue and White Norfolk Island Quilt


Medallion centre - the aqua fabric is 15 years old and from Dutch fabric shop Den Haan en Wagenmakers, looking perfectly at home with Amy Bulters not so old checkered spots fabric

I know I know, I am supposed to be finishing projects not starting new ones, oh well I did have a blue quilt on my list and this was to be using a huge lot of old blue fabrics that have been sitting in my cupboard for way too long. After finishing my mammoth hexie quilt (must think of a more suitable name), I found myself missing my hand work. I fiddled around with my "this goes with that" pieces (was going to make Kerry Dear's Candied Hexagons)  and made a few blocks but the colours weren't enthusing me - too many decisions - just wanted to sit and sew.

A few blocks from Candied Hexagaons 

 Anyway I have picked up Brigette Giblins Feathering the Nest book many times and dreamt that one day I would make one or more of the lovely quilts within. So above is progress of my centre medallion so far. I will have to buy some fabrics to complete this because although I have many blues I don't have big pieces for borders, but I will do my best to use what I have and I know I will have heaps of blues still left to make another quilt.

Norfolk Quilt




Have included a few pics from Brigette Giblin's book for inspiration.........love the way she uses her fabrics, they all sing so harmoniously together.

Stay tuned for more progress, this one is coming together pretty quickly considering they are 3/4 inch hexies.

No comments:

Post a Comment